Thursday, April 16, 2009

MS Update

I've been posting updates on my facebook page so I thought I should write about it here also, for those who don't do facebook. I met with the neurologist on Monday and the spinal tap results confirmed the MS diagnosis. We have decided to begin my treatment with Avonex, which is a once a week injection to modulate my immune system. This is one of four drugs which are used to help prevent exacerbations (or attacks) which is what happened to me. I will still have exacerbations, but this will hopefully give me more time between them. I'm waiting for the treatment to be set up through insurance (thank you Juniper for great insurance!) then a nurse will come show us how to do the injections. I have an appointment with the MS Center of Atlanta next Friday, April 24th. I'm getting a second opinion from them and then will decide if I will continue my treatment through their office or stay with my neurologist here in Douglasville.
I have felt so blessed through this whole process. Dan and I have both felt the influence of the Lord and everyone's prayers for us. It is hard to be discouraged with so many people supporting you. My life will not be the same as it was before, but I'm expecting it to not be that different either. I can manage this disease and whatever comes with it. I may have to do things differently from time to time, but I will still live my life! I'm feeling stronger now and am pretty much back to "normal". Thank you all for your support and prayers for us and I thank the Lord for the strength He has given me.

This is my "garden", as the nurses at the hospital referred to it. I felt very loved by our fabulous friends in Georgia!

1 comment:

mom o' seven said...

Our prayers will continue to be with you and your family. You are a strong woman, and I know you will succeed in your goals.
We love you