Thursday, July 2, 2009

MS Update

After taking my Avonex injections for six weeks I was told to stop the injections because my liver enzymes were elevated, which means my liver was being damaged. That was a month ago. Last week I began to feel sick... nausea, loss of appetite, tired all the time. I thought it was just because my family was visiting :), just kidding... the symptoms got a little better but wouldn't go away. Then on Sunday, my friends and family all agreed that the whites of my eyes looked yellow. After doing some research on the internet and talking to a nurse, Dan took me to the hospital. I was admitted because my enzyme levels and bilirubin numbers were four times normal levels. The levels went down a little on Monday but stayed the same on Tuesday. The doctor let me go home on Wednesday morning but I have to see him on Monday to test my levels again. Right now it seems that my liver is getting better, but it will be a slow process... frustrating!! After my liver gets back to normal, we'll have to talk about my options for MS meds, because Avonex is not good for me. One of the worst parts of this has been the timing. Greg & Tiff and their family as well as my parents were visiting us this week. I was sick the whole time and in the hospital half the time! I was looking forward to their visit so much and it was nothing like what I had planned. I only hope that they still had a good time.
I have to say that I have the most incredible husband! Dan has been so great to me through all this. I know it gets frustrating when he has to take up the slack with the house and kids, but he does it without complaint. He shows me such love and tenderness. I am so blessed!!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am so sorry that you haven't been feeling well! Thank you for the update. We are keeping you in our prayers. Love you!!!!

Valerie said...

Well that totally sucks that you were feeling so sick when your family was there for a visit. I am sure they had a great time anyway! I am sorry that you have been feeling so yucky. I wish that I had a magic wand that could take it all away. I will continue to pray for you! Tell Dan that I think he is a great husband and Dad! You are lucky to have someone that will stand by your side through these rough times. Feel better soon!